Do you ever stop to wonder why we need two ears, and why the input signal to our brains needs to be binaural?
The secret to binaural hearing is the location of the ears. Because they are on opposite sides of the head, the sounds heard by either ear will vary in timing, volume, and frequency balance. These differences are the clues your brain uses to decode a sound’s location, and to get a better sound signal.
Binaural hearing can help make life more relaxing. It can give a feeling of balanced hearing.
- Two-eared hearing results in a feeling of balanced reception of sound, also known as the stereo effect, whereas
- Monaural hearing creates an unusual feeling of sounds being heard in one ear.
Binaural hearing helps the listener
- Hear better in background noise
- Hear a stronger sound (increased loudness)
- Locate a sound’s source
- Help the listener separate sound sources